Sunday, September 11, 2005

Swollen

When I was a kid, there were these women in my family. I was never exactly sure of their relation (I'm not sure anyone knew for that matter). Let's put them in the Great Aunts from the old country category. They were old, and plump, and wore chiffon dresses that made an unnatural sound when they shifted in their seats, but the thing that I remember most about them was their feet. More distinctly, the U shaped mounds of flesh that swelled up out of their petite, 50's style pumps. I so desperately wanted to run up and snatch those shoes right off. I so desperately wanted to set those feet free. The irony baffled me, even as a child. In an attempt to appear beautiful, they ended up deformed. The End

2 Comments:

Blogger s.k.namanny said...

I had forgotten about the feet. You brought the memory back all vivid and bursting at the straps. Fat feet always mystified me. I never wanted to set them free (didn't have values to impose I suppose) I just wanted to press a finger or a stick on the "bulging U-shaped" flesh, to see if it would pop, or if it was hard like a rock.
When exactly did comfortable shoes at last become fashionable? Did they ever? Most of the people I know are like you: too smart to wear anything but.

September 15, 2005 at 4:07 AM

 
Blogger jonathan said...

It wasn't so easy for those poor fat footed migrant workers; being smart wasn't. I was going to say the say thing s.k. said but not as eloquently so I decided to call your reletives migrant workers instead. Not smart either. But I was tring to point out the difficulty of their situation. Having to pick lettuce, artichokes and cabbage in flesh toned pumps. Oh missy, I would love to see your perfect little feet after a few hours of picking. Or before. Please.

October 2, 2005 at 6:48 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

 
http://photos3.flickr.com/4386423_6077383954.jpg